Bark a Roo’s – These Aren’t Your Average Scooby Snacks!

Have your prized pooches been getting tired of their regular, boring dog treats? Then look no further than Bark a Roo’s, tasty and fun dog treats handmade locally by Transition Program students at THS! Even better, these dog treats go towards a great cause, acting as a fundraiser for the Transition students to pay for transportation for field trips.

This brilliant idea came to THS from the previous Director of Pupil Services, Lindsay Aronheim. She had been at an observation at a different school and saw the students in the Transition Program making dog treats. The Bark a Roo’s program at THS had just gotten up and running in January 2020 when Covid hit and all the students had to go home, effectively ending the fundraiser as soon as it had started. But Covid didn’t stop the Transition Program project for good, because at the end of September 2021, Bark a Roo’s got a redo. Stamps to make the personalized tags for the dog treat bags were obtained, and the new Transition Program coordinator ordered custom Bark a Roo’s aprons. Working out of one of the teacher’s lounges, the students figured out that a portion of 5.5 cups of cookie dough can be used to make dozens of cookies all in one class period. With operations a go, by the end of October the fundraiser had made almost $200, and there are already 26 orders in November!

I was kindly gifted a bag of Bark a Roo’s for my own dogs to test, and I can confidently say that they were a hit! Each month the flavor of the dog treats changes, with October’s being applesauce and oatmeal, and November’s being peanut butter pumpkin. My dogs couldn’t resist the tantalizing peanut butter aroma of the treats, and started sniffing at the bag as soon as I pulled it out of my backpack. Each bag of treats contains different fun shapes and sizes, perfect for my large boxer puppy and smaller elderly spaniel. Despite only having 5 teeth, my spaniel gobbled down as many treats as I would give her, and even tried to steal the treat that my boxer had taken into the other room to daintily chew in privacy.

So, if you have dogs and are looking for a new reward (because all good dogs need rewards), are searching for the perfect holiday gift for a dog lover in your life, or just want to support the THS Transition Program, order some Bark a Roo’s today!

A bag of Bark a Roo’s

A transition program student [what is her name?] showing off one of their new aprons

My puppy Beau’s first taste of a Bark a Roo, while my other dog Maggie watches on in jealousy

A closeup of the wonderfully decorated Bark a Roo’s tag

Maggie finally gets to try a treat

Both dogs are eagerly waiting to try the Bark a Roo’s

Skip to toolbar