Meet and Greet: New Staff Interviews

Our third edition of this newspaper and we are bringing back a fan favorite: interviews of our newest staff additions. Mr. Marquis is a new member of the staff here at THS, and he is a new English teacher. He is also a newer teacher in general. He said that he previously worked in the restaurant business, but when he and his wife moved to Texas, he decided to pursue a career in teaching. 

I asked him why he chose English, and he responded that he has always been an avid reader and is fascinated with words – he loves the craft. He’s also a writer, and knew as a teacher,  it was either English or nothing. He also noted that he likes that English is an important subject in the way that it overlaps with all other subjects. 

I asked him why he chose to teach high schoolers, and he said that he actually taught middle schoolers for a few years and this is his first year teaching high schoolers. However, he prefers teaching high schoolers because they are more mature and the material is also a lot more interesting. 

I ended the interview by asking about his favorite music, because what people listen to says a lot about them. He said that his favorite genre of music is indie rock, but he also enjoys silly pop music and jazz. His favorite band is Los Campesinos, which is a unique favorite and means Marqui is definitely someone to talk to regarding his musical interests.  

Ms. Weismann is also a new member of the staff, and she is a new science teacher. She said that she loves science because science explains everything about how everything works and functions. She also talked about why she decided to become a science teacher. She explained that in science, you can do a lot of things with numbers and data. But all of those numbers and data are useless to the general public unless they understand it. By teaching people about science and how to use it, it allows these numbers to actually have an impact, and it gives our world meaning.

Another question I asked her is why she chose to teach high schoolers. Her response was that high schoolers are just opening their eyes up about the world and they are right on the brink of becoming adults, so they are actually able to apply this knowledge without bias from experience. Younger students still need to learn about science, but if you teach them too much at once they are just going to forget it and the knowledge is barely used. But for high schoolers, it is more applicable and they can use it to understand and shape the world around them. 

Last but not definitely not least, I asked her about her favorite music. She enjoys listening to any kind of relaxing music, such as lofi and classical music. Her favorite type of classical music is baroque classical, and if you don’t know what that is, I suggest you give it a quick google search. Baroque Music – Classical Music from the Baroque Period

Skip to toolbar